user_mobilelogo

Robert ‘Mouseman’ Thompson Pair of Early Monks Chairs

Stock ref: DS2027 / DS2028

1930

An excellent pair of early bespoke commissioned Robert 'Mouseman' Thompson Oak Monk's Chairs, each curved back rail with a  carved monk's head and flower head. The central splat with a shield carved with the Horlick family coat of arms and inscribed with the family motto 'Labore Et Scienta (by work and by knowledge), the side splats with tudor rose flower heads. The seat is an early drop-in woven leather lattice design, supported on four legs with a crossed stretcher, a good trademark mouse carved to the front leg of each chair.

Excellent solid  and usable condition, the original leather has been replaced in the past  but is acquiring a nicely aged patina, and the under seat frame strenghened with additional corner blocking, all thought to have been completed in the 70s on all the chairs from their collection.

Photographed as acquired, they will be sympathetically cleaned and waxed for clients prior to sale.

Excellent provenance: from the Horlicks Collection and recorded in the Robert Thompson ledger, 1930, Messers Horlick, Slough, Monks Chairs with coats of arms £ 6 each. 

The Horlick family are famous for  creating and owning the famous malted milk drink 'Horlicks' manufactured at their large Slough factory, which has only  recently closed following the sale of the business by Glaxo Smith Klein.  The Robert Thompson ledgers  indicate that the family commissioned a significant number of pieces from 1930 through to 1939 to furnish their boardroom and other offices. The surviving pieces have recently been sold at auction in 46 lots, representing the largest single owner collection to come to market since the Leeds Girls Grammer School collection was sold in 2008. The Horlicks  sale achieved a total  auction hammer price of £ 236,000 (excl buyers fees), the highest price being a new UK record of £ 35,000 hammer price ( £44,660 incl buyers fees) for a 1930 made  Dresser.

Available as a pair or individually, these are 2 of 8 commissioned in 1930 for the boardroom.

£ 5,950 each.